Sunday, November 29, 2009

Mounting external hard disk

Once my external hard disk is not properly removed after use from Windows OS. And when I tried to access the hard drive using Linux (Ubuntu) OS, I faced the problem of failure in mounting the drive. Following is the snapshot of the diagnostic I received on connecting the external hard disk to Linux (Ubuntu) OS.


To fix the problem I forced the mount of external hard disk manually. The manual mount of external hard disk is done using the following commands in terminal.

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /media/disk/ -o force

And unmounted the external hard disk using the following command:

sudo umount /media/disk/


The problem got fixed. On subsequent access I found that the external hard disk is mounted automatically by the Linux (Ubuntu) OS.

No comments: